Saturday, May 7, 2011

DIY Filter Sock Mount

Until today, my filter sock had been resting on a glass baffle. It worked, but was not ideal. I have a Berlin Sump filter sock mount around here somewhere, but unfortunately it didn't work with my sump. After a discussion with the Mr. R. Reef (Credit where credit is due), I was inspired to make a DIY egg crate filter sock holder.

Yes, I used hot pink zip ties. It makes it more scene.

Sock holder, sans sock.

This is how the sock will sit.

I used two small strips of egg crate to create a lip that will keep the sock above water level

Sock holder to the left

Snap shot of the DIY sock holder in my DIY sump.

Someone wouldn't stay out of the shot...

Tada! My filter sock is now supported above the water level. Water is now forced to flow through the sock, not over the sock. I installed (placed) the holder inside my sump. The sock is positioned close enough above the water and low enough from the edge of the sump to prevent any overflows if the filter sock becomes clogged. Yes!

Cost of the project: $0 dollars for supplies as I had everything here from previous projects. If I had to purchase the items new, cost would be under $10 (AquaMaxx filter sock not included in price).

Labor Hours: 15-20 minutes total. (including pictures).

Until next time, friends...

No comments: