Thursday, June 23, 2011

Marineland Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro Powerhead

I wanted to make water changes easier, so I started looking for a powerhead to help move water in and out of the aquarium. I picked up a Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro, which is the new, updated version of the Maxi-Jet 1200. The Maxi-Jet pumps have been widely used because they are good little work horses, versatile, readily available, and are relatively inexpensive.

Marineland has recently updated their powerhead line. The new line now includes both an impeller and a propeller with a cover for each set up. It also includes a new Omni-Directional Mount that can be attached to the suction cup mount the units included in the past. The new powerheads still include the same pieces and adapters for multiple uses (such as a venturi adapter) as before.

Propeller and Circulation Assembly:

Powerhead / Utility Assembly:

The Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro will push a maximum of 295 GPH in powerhead mode, 1300 GPH in circulation pump mode, and a maximum of 6 feet when used in utility mode.

Reports have surfaced that the new Maxi-Jet Pros would produce a rattling noise when back pressure is applied. I wanted to see if I could replicate these reports, so in addition to testing the pump in both the standard utility (powerhead) and circulation modes, I also tested the Maxi-Jet on an AquaC Remora protein skimmer and I also used a ball valve to apply back pressure.
I tested the powerhead in a 5-gallon bucket, and I ended the testing on my aquarium using the circulation mode. The flow was strong in the powerhead mode. Testing in the bucket inside the house was not my finest idea, as several times I moved the pump and water was sent spraying all over. I used the pump to push water up about 5 vertical feet to my display aquarium, and it performed well. I also ran 12 feet of vinyl tubing from my water changing buckets into the bathtub several feet away. For water changing, this is going to work well.

Next, I installed the propeller and the propeller cover and put the Maxi-Jet in my aquarium. It had a good, strong flow. The flow was a little more focused than I had hoped, but I was able to feel the flow from the powerhead on the other side of the aquarium (36"). I played around with turning the pump on and off, but it makes a rattling noise when starting. Because of this rattling, I would say these would not be the best for a wavemaker. When starting up again, the propeller cover rattled and also seemed like it wanted to come off. At one on/off session, the propeller wouldn't turn on, and another it fell out. Oops. I would have to say that there are better options out there for a on/off wave making function, but the strong flow and near silence when in use make this pump a good option for in tank water flow.
Now, on to the back pressure tests. I attached a piece of vinyl tubing and a Two Little Fishies ball valve. The pump does indeed rattle when backpressure is applied. When the ball valve was dialed back past 3/4 open, a significant rattling would be evident. Some of the noise can be minimized by using the suction cups mounts to reduce vibrations, but there was still a noticeable rattle. Next, I attached the pump to my AquaC Remora. There was also an audible rattling noise that could be heard over the normal hissing noise heard from the skimmer. I tried moving the pump and adjusting the impeller housing, but I wasn't able to reduce or eliminate the noise. Unfortunately, I was able to replicate the rumors, and I was unable to find a fix for either of the situations. In both cases, it was a noise issue, not a performance issue on the part of the pump. Remember, noise is subjective.
Overall, the new Pro model of the Maxi-Jet 1200 is a good powerhead for the price. It can be used as a powerhead, circulation pump, and utility pump. You will not find a pump that can do all three for less! For this blogger's particular purpose, this is a great pump at a very affordable price. You can learn more and purchase the Marineland Maxi-Jet Pro Powerhead online at MarineDepot.com.

Until next time...

1 comment:

angry american said...

@ chris. how in god's name can you recommend this pump to people with the noise problem? noises mean one thing vibration. vibration's mean one thing something is amiss meaning there is rubbing on another in which it CAN AND WILL create a hole in the pump shorting out possibly causing a HUGE problem in your wonderful aquarium. BUY FROM A REPUTABLE COMPANY!!!