Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Digital Aquatics RKM SL-1 Module

In preparation for my vacation, I decided that there was no better time than now to set up an auto top off system. After looking at my options, I decided to purchase the Digital Aquatics RKM SL-1 module for my ReefKeeper Lite system.
My ReefKeeper Lite system features the ReefKeeper Lite head unit, 2x PC4's, iTemp probe, float switch kit, and an SL-1 module. Without getting too much into the ReefKeeper Lite system, I will say that it controls my lights, skimmer, return pump, and heater. So far, so good!

The SL-1 module can be used with both the ReefKeeper Lite and Elite systems. The module enables one to connect a pH probe, ORP probe, temperature probe, and has molex slots for two switches. I purchased one float kit (with mounts) to set my water level. When the float switch is "closed", or down in my particular setup, it turns on the Aqualifter pump that pumps water out of an RO/DI reservoir (currently an old salt bucket with a hole drilled in the lid) and into the sump. I don’t have to manually top off my system, or come home to a pump that’s blowing micro bubbles because I didn’t top off enough the night before.
The float switch
After talking with a fellow reefer about his worries of a sticking float switch, I plan on purchasing a second float switch kit to set as a back-up shut off switch. Whenever the water level triggers the second float switch, it will tell the auto lifter pump to turn off. This would be helpful in the event that the first float switch fails. I will also be purchasing a pH probe to monitor pH. I’m not interested in monitoring ORP at this time, however it’s not bad knowing that I can monitor that.

To finish the install, I mounted everything to my aquarium stand with Velcro, which helped organize some of the wiring behind and alongside my aquarium stand. Job well done if I may say. Until next time...

No comments: