Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Time

It's Summer time. For me, this means no school, more work, and more vacation. As I plan my vacation, I have had to start making plans for the care of my pets and reef tank. My dog and turtles are pretty easy to plan for, and I've never had trouble finding someone to care for my dog.

Unfortunately, I've had poor luck with my old nano reef tanks during the summer. My first reef tank crashed when I went to Las Vegas. My next reef tanks followed suit. I have had poor luck whenever I have left town for more than two or three days. Asking someone to care for my reef tank is a possibility, but even then I worry. This summer, I plan on leaving for one full week. While I have taken many smaller trips for camping, we haven't been able to take a whole week off for several years. To make things more complicated, my dad is going out of town, so I have no one home to check on the tank.

I have some good things going for me this time. I have the assistance of automation. I can set up an auto top off system to control evaporation. I will leave my window fan running in my bedroom to circulate the heat on hot days, and I will set up fans on the sump to assist with cooling. I can set up a large bucket to collect excess skim, so I won't need to worry about the skimmer cup overflowing. Lighting is also on timers, so I won't have to worry about lighting cycles.

My last concern is feeding. While I can feed my coral before I leave, I will need to obtain an automated fish feeder. I will also test my automated system for 1-2 weeks before the trip. This will allow me to monitor my system to ensure it works flawlessly, and work out any kinks. I will also have to train someone or ask a fellow hobbyist to come by halfway through the week to check on things.

And finally, I may have to set up a remote webcam so I can keep an eye on the tank. While it won't be overly sophisticated, I purchased a webcam off eBay for $0.01. I can set-up a simple webcam system to upload snapshots to the internet. This can give me a change to spot a problem (or prevent a problem) and call my standby person.

I'm sure I'll document this process, but I wanted to kick around some ideas first.

No comments: