Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weekend photos

Last weekend I removed what was left of the biopellets in my system. I was having problems with coral dying, and I figured it might be related to the bio pellets. While I can't prove the pellets were the problem, my coral (specifically my zoas that were still alive) are doing much better and are opening up fully. The biopellet experiment lasted 8 months, and was overall inconclusive. There are too many factors as to why it may or may not have worked including my irregular maintenance (I've been busy) and the use of a reactor that wasn't designed for this type of media. I haven't ruled out the system for use in the future, but for now I'm sticking with the proven, old fashioned way: heavy skimming, light feeding, and water changes.


Here's what the tank looks like today. I've lost some coral and moved some others, and recently experienced a heavy outbreak of cyano. You might notice less coral than in previous inages, and both of my Anemones are hiding at the moment (Maxi-mini under the shelf, and RBT Anemone is behind the overflow box).


I'll post images to monitor progress in the future... Until next time...