Friday, September 14, 2012

Biopellet Progress

We're almost a month into Project Biopellet - Take II (name still tentative). For the first two weeks, I added 1/4 cups of Biopellets weekly. For the first two weeks, I also added Two Little Fishies Bioactiv8 on a daily basis. I would turn off the return pump for a few minutes and add the bacterial innoculant directly into the sump chamber where the biopellet reactor is located. I would then leave my protein skimmer off for an hour after adding this.

So far, no problems. I have seen a huge reduction in cyano bacteria growth that was present before I started the biopellet system again. There has also been a reduction in the growth of hair algae, though some still exists. I will continue to remove either cyano or algae as I see it during water changes. Coral look healthy. I'm seeing polyp extension and no loss of color. 

Test Results to Follow:
I promise!

Maintenance:
Water changes. I've been a little lazy on this. I'm doing maybe 10% every other week. So far it seems to be appropriate for my system, however it would certainly be ideal to preform 10% changes every week.

I have fed my aquarium daily. I have not been overfeeding, but I have been feeding pretty good. I have been using  Brightwell Aquatics Zooplanktos-M liquid added to my tank daily. I will turn off the pumps and leave my powerheads on,  then I'll add a little to the tank and let the powerheads distribute it to the coral. I also feed Coral Frenzy and Brightwell Aquatics PhytoChrom - Color-Enhancing Phytoplankton though less frequently.

Skimmer:
I will have to post an in depth review of the AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM100 In-Sump Protein Skimmer, but for now I will say that it is still doing great. Since the biopellets, it has been removing a darker skim, and I'm changing the cup about twice a week.

The biopellets appear to be working so far. We're about a month in and I've just brought the pellet level in the reactor to a total of 1 cup. My aquarium could take another 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so, but I'm still debating on whether I should add this. I'll keep the experiment going... Pictures and test results to follow shortly. Until next time...

** Previous Related Articles: (Links added October 2013).

  • My Experience with Biopellets (February 2012).
  • Trying Biopellets... Again. (August 2012).