Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My DIY Sump

I installed my DIY 20 gallon long sump. Using a design from RemsReef.com as inspiration, I decided to try my hand at my first DIY (do it yourself) sump / glass project. My final product has some areas of opportunity, but so far, so good. There were no leaks from the baffles or aquarium, and the sump is doing its job well. I won't post detailed information on how I built it; if you want to see a professional make a DIY sump, I suggest www.RemsReef.com! He did a great job with his sump, and it came out looking very clean.

Anyways, here's my sump in action. I am very pleased that there is no annoying waterfall noise. I also have a large skimmer chamber to hold an internal protein skimmer down the road. The skimmer chamber is followed by 3 glass baffles that act as a bubble trap, hopefully reducing (possibly eliminating) micro bubbles from entering the display tank. Check out the picture below!


DIY SUMP

No comments: