Thursday, March 10, 2011

In the beginning

My reef log will be covering the build of my 60 gallon reef tank, but this post will focus on my aquariums humble beginnings.

29 gallon - day 1
My first attempt(s) at a marine aquarium was a 29 gallon followed quickly after by a move to a 46 gallon FOWLR aquarium. The aquarium (or first two I guess) failed in part to my lack of money and lack of proper equipment. I tried some coral towards the end, but with poor filtration and not enough lighting, I wasn't having much luck. I learned some important lessons, and I was not deterred from the hobby by any means.


46 gallonI downgraded to a much more manageable 8 gallon biocube as I figured the maintenance would be much more manageable. It was easier to preform water changes and I was able to keep some soft corals and some small fishes. The tank did well but crashed during the summer months, and rebounded after. It was easier to preform water changes (up to this point, I am purchasing saltwater from LFS's). Difficulty finding replacement bulbs and my displeasure with the DIY modifications to the hood (i purchased the tank used) left me feeling uneasy with the aquarium, so I purchased a light fixture and a 10 gallon aquarium and made the move. This aquarium survived and thrived, but getting RO/DI water and saltwater from my LFS was getting harder and hard with my schedule. 8 gallon biocubeI topped off using tap water (carbon filtered, but still tap water) and the water changes were far and few between. The tank developed algae problems and eventually declined. The aquarium also developed a leak, so I knew it was time to change. I was also in the progress of painting, so it was a perfect time to 1) break down my freshwater aquarium, 2) move the nano reef, and 3) convince myself that it was time to upgrade. The reef itch (a very contagious and often incurable disease) struck...

I decided to get serious again. In November 2010, I purchased an 18 gallon aquarium from a LFS with plans of a future upgrade. I added more live rock and let my surviving coral and fishes get comfortable in the new environment. Thanks to my friends, I acquired a protein skimmer and a small metal halide fixture for my aquarium. With these very important tools, I began my journey towards SERIOUS reef keeping; this is no longer a Nemo focused tank.

My next blog update will feature specific details of my current reef aquarium and hopefully some pictures. Until next time...

No comments: