Saturday, March 26, 2011

It's on... like Donkey Kong!

I am taking a break from destroying my tank at the moment and executing the battle plan.

I have been experiencing what I had assumed was a simple brown algae problem, but credible intelligence from my secret operatives (a.k.a. clever coworkers) suggests that my small "Algae Problem" (as I had oh so foolishly assumed) is not an algae problem at all. Oh no, it's much worse... It's an attack of The Dinoflagellates. Oh yes! I'm on to you "snotty" little guys and your rue! You can't fool me (for long). I won't stand by as you invade my reef tank!

SO TODAY- I DECLARE WAR ON THE DINO'S!


The evil Dino Empire shall perish at the hands of a very angry and determined hobyist! I might worry about posting my "secret" battle plan on the internet, but I trust my 3 readers won't tell... plus I'm pretty sure that there's no WIFI access in my aquarium.

The Battle Plan:
* Siphon out any brown "snot".
* Use activated carbon and GFO (going to need to purchase a TL Phosban reactor).
* Reduction of light or no-light periods.
* Moved my skimmer to display tank - I shortened the length of tubing and hopefully this will ensure my skimmer works a little better. Not impressed by the lackluster results I have seen while it has been on the sump.
* Water changes, because water changes cure all.
* Reduction in amount of food fed to coral / fish. My theory of "lots of food for me, so lots of food for you" has many holes. (There's a serious flaw in the logic there, but that's a different post and a different blog.) Also, I'll make sure I rinse any frozen food before it enters the aquarium. I'm THAT paranoid.

Well that's the battle plan. I'm sure I missed something, but I better get back to work. (P.S. Thank you for dealing with my war references.)

No comments: